Text Alerts: What You Need to Know
Text alerts are a feature in our on-going fraud monitoring program that help keep your card secure with a ton of convenience. And if we have your cell number on file, you’re already enrolled. Here’s how it works:
- If we detect suspicious activity on your card, you’ll receive a text message with details about the suspected transaction.
- Respond to the text to confirm the transaction or to flag it as fraud.
- If confirmed, you’re all set. If you suspect it’s fraud, we’ll send you a number to call for follow-up.
Simple as that.
Avoiding Text Message Fraud
It’s important to be aware that fraudsters will often send emails, voicemails, and texts directly to cardholders, impersonating financial institutions by spoofing phone numbers and contact details. If you respond to these messages, they’ll then ask for personally identifiable information. That’s how they get you.
Remember these key points to avoid getting scammed:
- Any fraud related call you receive from Columbia Credit Union and our related fraud call centers will NEVER ask for any personally identifiable information such as card numbers, online banking credentials, PINs, card expiration dates or CV2 codes over text, email, or phone.
- A phone call from one of our fraud call centers will only include a request for the cardholder ZIP code and no other information—unless the cardholder confirms that a transaction is fraudulent. Only then will the cardholder be transferred to an agent, who will ask questions to confirm the cardholder’s identity before going through the transaction history. If at any point you are uncertain about questions being asked or the call itself, hang up and call us directly at:
- Columbia Credit Union: 360-891-4000
- Debit Card Fraud Call Center: 877-253-8964 (for voice mail and email notifications)
- Credit Card Fraud Call Center: 855-926-5159 (for voice mail and email notifications)
- Text alerts from Columbia Credit Union will always be from the 5-digit number 37268 and NOT a 10-digit number resembling a phone number. You’ll be prompted to reply with answers such as “Yes,” “No,” Help,” or “Stop.” A link will NEVER be included.
- Debit card SMS messages will include a call back number of 877-253-8962 if the cardholder would prefer to respond by phone.
- Credit card SMS messages will include a call back number of 855-926-5160 if the cardholder would prefer to respond by phone.