Visa® Debit Cards
Make purchases and access your accounts with a Columbia Visa Debit Card.
- Free with every Columbia checking account.
- No monthly service fees.
- Can be used wherever VISA debit cards are honored, including most retail merchants, grocery stores and restaurants.
- Grow savings automatically with Stash Your Cash – buy stuff you normally purchase with your Columbia debit card and we’ll round up each purchase to the next dollar amount.
- Can be used at ATMs for cash withdrawals and other transactions worldwide wherever you see the Plus, Accel and CO-OP logos displayed.
- Customize your card with your favorite photo or add a layer of ID protection.
- Verified by VISA fraud protection for online purchases.
Control when, where, and how your Columbia CU debit card is used
CardValet is ideal for Columbia Credit Union members with a Visa Debit Card who want to proactively manage their card through their mobile device. Best of all, the CardValet App is free!
CardValet lets you:
- Turn your debit card on and off – right from your smartphone.
- Restrict transactions based on merchant type, amount or location.
- Set transaction amount limits.
- Schedule alerts for certain transaction types.
Get started with CardValet
- Download the CardValet App and Register Your Cards.
- Turn Your Card On or Off; Set Controls or Alerts; View Balances and Card Transactions
Debit Cash Back
Debit Cash Back lets you receive offers for cash rewards on purchases from local and national retailers! It’s easy. Log in to online banking to view and select your offers. Then use your Columbia Credit Union debit card to make your purchases and your cash back reward will automatically be deposited into your Columbia checking account.
Easy to use
- Click – to activate exclusive cash-back offers at the types of places you like to shop.
- Shop – online or in stores to redeem your offers by paying with your debit card.
- Enjoy – cash back is deposited right into your account at the end of the following month.
Features and benefits
- No cost to you – the program is free and available to all Columbia Visa® debit cardholders.
- Shop more, save more – there’s no limit to the rewards you can earn, so the more you use your debit card, the more offers you can receive to earn cash!
- Offers are relevant to you – the program is based on how you currently shop.
- Quick and easy – no need to haul coupons.
- Several ways to redeem offers – depending on the offer you can either shop online, in-store or both.
- Secure – merchants do not have access to your account, so your transaction and information remain secure.
- Automatic – rewards are deposited into your account the last day of the month following the month you redeemed the offer.
Just click on the link from your online banking home page to see all offers and options that are waiting for you!
Custom Better Image Debit Card
Put a better image on your consumer debit card. Show off your keepsake photos, sports pride, or personal style by uploading a custom image for your Columbia debit card. From Fido to finger painting you can have fun with it. You can order a new custom Better Image Debit Card online anytime, not just when you open a new checking account or when your card expires. To ensure quality, please reference our image specifications.
If your existing debit card has been damaged or your name has changed, please contact us at 360.891.4000 to request a reissue, rather than using the photo upload below.
What is the difference between using my debit card as debit or credit?
- Debit cards can be used two different ways: debit or credit.
- Using the card as a debit means you are entering your Personal Identification Number (PIN) to complete the transaction.
- Using the card as credit means you do not enter your PIN. Most times when running it as a credit you are asked to sign for the transaction, but not always.
- Both types of transactions clear through your checking account.
Do debit (entering a PIN) card transactions clear my account right away?
- A debit transaction in which you have entered your PIN will typically clear the account once the transaction is complete.
- A card transaction that is run through as a credit (you did not enter your PIN) may take from a few hours to several days or more to post to your account. The amount authorized is placed on hold and removed from your available balance immediately. The hold is released after approximately 72 hours or when the transaction clears, whichever come first.
Can I always run my card as debit (entering my PIN)?
- No. Not all merchants are able to run a card as debit. Some places have to run it as credit and will typically have you sign for your purchase.
Why is there a difference in my account balance and my available balance?
- You may notice a difference in your account balance and your available balance.
- The most common reason for this difference is outstanding purchase (when you did not enter a PIN) authorizations due to using the card for credit purchases.
- Though these transactions may not yet be visible on your account history they have been authorized and have therefore decreased your account balance to reflect your available balance.
Why did my account get charged an overdraft fee when my balance wasn’t negative?
- The account history reflects the account balance, not the available balance. Fees are charged when there are not available funds in the account.
- If there are not adequate available funds to pay a transaction, overdraft fees or overdraft transfers will occur.
- Transactions that are authorized and then cancelled by the merchant may continue to hold against the available balance for up to 72 hours.
- If you used your debit card to reserve a hotel room or rental car, additional authorizations may be requested by the merchant and hold against the available balance for up to 72 hours.
Will a hold release prior to the purchase clearing the account?
- If the transaction has not posted to the account within 72 hours, the system will automatically remove the hold.
- Even though the funds are not being held, a charge may still post to the account. To avoid possible overdrafts it is vital to keep a running register that reflects all purchases/debits and review your register against what has cleared to see if there are any pending transactions.
Can I set up overdraft protection to help avoid fees?
- It is always a good idea to have overdraft protection set up on your account. This can help you avoid overdraft fees.
- Overdraft protection is offered in various forms.
- Savings and money market accounts can be set up to cover your checking if the need arises.
- Upon approved credit, a personal line of credit can be attached to your checking account to protect against overdrafts.
Can authorizations on my debit card be removed?
- Authorizations on the debit card cannot be manually removed.
- A purchase made as credit will hold for approximately 72 hours or until the purchase posts to the account, whichever happens first.
- The transaction will normally post to your account within 72 hours.
- If the authorization was more than your actual transaction the additional authorized amount will return to your available balance once the transaction clears or after 72 hours. This is often the case for car rental and hotel transactions.
- If the transaction was cancelled by the merchant after authorization then the authorization will expire from the account within 72 hours, making the amount available.
How do I avoid unnecessary authorizations on my account?
- You can avoid unnecessary authorizations by running your card as debit (entering your PIN).
Where else should I use caution in order to keep my unused funds available?
Some transactions that may authorize additional funds include but are not limited to:
- car rentals
- any type of rental
Custom Debit Cards
Three Custom Card types are available in addition to our Standard Visa Debit Card:
Better ID Cards — Secure your identity with an ID Photo Card. Upload your portrait to place on your card, and make it safer than ever before.
Better Image Cards (full image photo) — Show off your family, favorite landscape, your pet or whatever you want – every time you make a purchase. Just upload your favorite photo and use it as your background.
How do I switch from a Standard Columbia Credit Union Debit Card, to a Custom Debit Card?
To receive a new Custom Card, please Apply Online. When your new Custom Debit Card arrives in the mail, it will be embossed with a new card number. A new PIN is also associated with your new Custom Card. The New/Replacement Card Fee will apply.
What if I want to keep my existing Standard Columbia Credit Union Debit Card and just add a custom image to it?
Unfortunately we do not have a way to add custom images to our standard debit cards without issuing a new card number. In order to receive a custom card, a new card will need to be ordered and your existing card will be blocked 30 days later.
What happens to my old Standard Columbia Credit Union Debit Card?
Your old Standard Card will be closed 30 days after your new Custom Card is ordered. Please remember to dispose of your old card by shredding it, or you may bring it into any Columbia branch and we’ll securely discard it for you.
Can I order a Custom Card for my business account?
At this time the custom cards are only available for our consumer accounts. However, we plan to offer this great product to our business members in the future.
How do I change my Custom Card image?
To change your Custom Card image you must order a replacement. This means you’ll get a new card number, three-digit security code and PIN. Your old Custom Card will be closed 30 days after your new Custom Card is ordered. You should dispose of your old Custom Card by shredding it, or you may bring it into any Columbia branch and we’ll securely discard it for you. The New/Replacement Card Fee will apply.
What if I pay recurring bills using any Columbia Debit Card?
If you’re switching from a Standard Debit Card, ordering your first Custom Card or replacing an existing Custom Card (new image, card number and PIN), when your new Custom Card arrives, contact the vendor initiating the bill payment and switch the transaction to your new Custom Card number. All new/replacement Custom Cards come with a new card number, three-digit security code and PIN. If you’re reissuing an existing Custom Card (keeping your current image, number and PIN) your recurring bills will continue to be paid as they are today.
If I lose my card or it is stolen, what should I do?
Immediately report it by calling 800.699.4009.
To order a standard debit card contact us.
To order a new custom card, click order card now to upload an image and submit a new Custom Card Application to order a new replacement Custom Card. Your new Custom Debit Card will have a new card number, three-digit security code and PIN.
Don’t forget! If you used your old Debit Card number to pay bills, remember to contact payees with your new Card number.
If my card becomes damaged or my name changes, what should I do?
In order to have your existing card reissued with the same card number and pin, please visit one of our branches or contact us at 360.891.4000. The Reissue Card Fee will apply.
What is the cost?
There is a small fee to order a new/replacement or reissue Debit Cards. The fee is deducted from your checking account within two business days of submitting the Custom Card Application.
- New/Replacement Card Fee (new card image, number, security code & PIN) = $12
- Reissue Card Fee (keep existing card image, number, security code & PIN) = $5
What types of images are accepted?
Columbia Credit Union and its vendor partners reserve the right to determine whether submitted images will be accepted. See Image Guidelines for more information. We will notify you if your image quality is not accepted.
How will I know if my image is approved or not?
We will notify you if your image is not approved. This process may take up to 3 business days. The images are verified by our card processer, so we do not have access to the images to confirm for you when they are approved.
Can the joint account holder on my account have a custom card with a different image than me?
Yes. Each signer on the account can have their own unique card of their choice.
Verified by Visa
Columbia participates in an online authentication system called Verified by VISA. This program helps to protect your Visa® debit card or Visa® credit card from online fraud by enabling you to establish a password. Participating online merchants use your password for authentication at the time of purchase.
Register now: Activate your password by registering online at the Verified by VISA website.
Register while you shop: If you have not already activated your debit or credit card at the time of purchase, you will be prompted to do so before completing your purchase.
Planning to use your Columbia CU Visa® debit or credit card while traveling? Call us first.
If you’re planning to use your Columbia CU debit or credit card while traveling, please provide us with the following information so we can note it to your account:
- All states and countries you’ll be visiting.
- Dates of your travel.
- Phone number we can most easily reach you to verify transactions during your travel.
IMPORTANT: Due to high fraud and federal restrictions, transactions are prohibited in some countries. Please contact us to check if your destination is on the blocked country list.
What you need to know for smooth travel
- ALWAYS carry more than one form of payment such as debit card, credit card and cash.
- Verify your cards do not expire during your travel dates. Contact us to receive a new card at least two weeks before your trip.
- Use your PIN whenever possible when making purchases.
- Monitor your account through online banking or mobile banking daily.
- Many ATMs do not offer the option of withdrawing money from savings accounts. Make sure your checking account has sufficient funds.
- To help protect against fraud, daily ATM and purchase limits are placed on your card. Ask us about your limits so you can plan your purchases accordingly.
- Carry your card issuer(s) phone numbers in case you run into problems using your card while traveling.
Important Columbia CU Visa debit and credit card phone numbers:
Lost Debit Card:
Columbia CU Member Service Center 800-699-4009
M-F 8 am – 6 pm PST
After hours, weekends and holidays 800-417-8715
International Direct Dial or Calling Collect 973-682-2652
24/7 Fraud Detection Message Center 800-262-2024 or 877-253-8964
Lost Credit Card:
24/7 Customer Service 866-446-0288
24/7 Lost/Stolen Card Service Center 866-839-3485 or 800-325-3678
International Direct Dial or Calling Collect 727-227-2447
24/7 Fraud Alert Management 800-369-4887